The Inter-Varsity Dancesport Contest involves the formal teams (and other competitors) from universities across the whole of the UK - ie it's the national competition of its type.
The main event is a team match where each team consists of 4 couples who between them present: waltz, quickstep, jive and cha-cha. The scores for the whole team are combined into the final result. But there are also events for individual couples.
Beginners compete in single dance categories: waltz and/or quickstep for ballroom; jive and/or cha-cha for latin.
Novices compete in paired dance categories: both waltz and quickstep for ballroom; both jive and cha-cha for latin.
Intermediate level dancers present 3 dances per category; which means adding either foxtrot or tango to the usual ballroom pair and adding either rumba or samba to the usual latin pair.
Advanced dancers present 4 dances per category: WQFT and JCRS. In the ex-student advanced contest, all 5 dances for ballroom and latin categories are required.
There will usually be same sex contests too - using WQ and JC pairs or single dance rumba etc.
There are also rock'n'roll and salsa events.
IVDC 2019-20 Academic Year
Saturday 22nd February 2020 at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool.
- Saturday 23rd February 2019, Winter Gardens, Blackpool.
- Saturday 24th February 2018, Winter Gardens, Blackpool.
- Saturday 25th February 2017, Winter Gardens, Blackpool.
- Saturday 27th February 2016, Winter Gardens, Blackpool.
- Saturday 28th February 2015, Winter Gardens, Blackpool.
- Saturday 1st March 2014, Winter Gardens, Blackpool
- Saturday 2nd March 2013, Empress Ballroom, Winter Gardens, Blackpool
- Saturday 3rd March 2012
- Saturday 5th March 2011
- Saturday 27th February 2010, Empress Ballroom, Winter Gardens, Blackpool, FY1 1HU