Cambridge Dancers' Club
2014 Easter Term Classes
Welcome back, Cambridge Dancers. Our new term of classes has begun, with a few slight changes to the timetable.
If you are not already a CDC member but are planning to join us, you can print out and complete a membership form in advance of attending classes (and hence avoid any long queues). See also our membership and class fees.
Note that our free General Dancing on Friday 25th April will be held in Parkside gym, not the University Centre (where there's a cabaret instead!). It will be shorter, running from 8:30pm to just 9:45pm, and will include the EGM voting at 9:15pm.
• CDC classes start = Tuesday 22nd April
• CDC EGM = during latter part of GD on Friday 25th April in Parkside gym
• RnR workshop = Friday 25th April to Sunday 27th April
• CDC medals tests = Sunday 27th April (practice session on Saturday 26th)
• CDC AGM = to be decided
• Varsity competition = Saturday 17th May in Oxford
• Cuppers competition = Monday 16th June in Parkside gym
• CDC ball = Thursday 19th June at the Guildhall (to be confirmed)
May Ball Crash Course
If you're thinking of attending the CDC ball or any of the college May balls this term, you might want to prepare for it by attending our May Ball Crash Course classes. We aim to get you able to dance one standard style each week well enough to brave the floor at our free social dancing session on Friday night.
Week 1 (Tuesday 22nd to Friday 25th April) features the waltz. This is an essential dance to learn for all formal occasions: be that a ball, a wedding, an awards ceremony or a business function.
You can supplement this fast-track approach by attending normal beginners classes too; and vice versa. As usual, there is no need to register in advance for this course. Just turn up and pay on a per class basis (as an ongoing CDC member or non-member).
Dancing is not just for older people. If you're a student in the Cambridge area who might be eligible to compete for Cambridge, or if you'd simply like to try the competitive side of dancing for fun, then come along to our DanceSport classes (currently being taught by Paul on Monday evenings).
If you're interested but have questions about eligibility etc, email email@example.com. If you were a beginner in the past competition year (ending with IVDC), then you should attend the improvers class this term.
The Cambridge University Rock and Roll Team are delighted to invite you to our annual acrobatics workshop! This will be held 25th - 27th April in Cambridge and will cost just £56 for the whole weekend (early bird price in March). The workshop is suitable for all levels, from total beginners to advanced, and is also suitable for other dancers, cheerleaders, gymnasts, figure ice skaters, etc. No need to bring a partner, just lots of enthusiasm! The workshop will focus mainly on Rock and Roll partner acrobatics, with a little bit of dancing as well, so come prepared for a workout.
We would also love to host a social for everybody on the Saturday night. This will be a fantastic opportunity to learn from some amazing coaches with years of experience dancing and competing at the highest levels, and will of course be great fun! Get in contact if you would like to book a place, express interest or ask any questions. More details can be found on www.2rock.org/workshop.html.
The certificates and medal plaques for 2013 are available for collection at St.Columba's.
The current plan for this year is to hold the tests on Sunday 27th April 2014. If you would like to try for a dance qualification and are not already in Clive's class, check the example medal routines on the Revision Notes page to see which figures you know and what medal level you might be able to take. The last practice session before the test will be on Saturday 26th April from 2pm to 5pm in St.Columba's main hall for £4 per person.
We still have some club T-shirts for sale - at £10 each. See a committee member (ideally at St.Columba's) to purchase one.
If you don't want to join the CDC at the moment but do want to receive emailed announcements of our events during the year, you can subscribe yourself to our mailing list for interested non-members (by clicking on that link). You will then have to reply to the confirmation email you receive.
See our links page for other dance groups (with their own classes and events) and suppliers of dance equipment etc.
Non-CDC activities in the immediate space-time vicinity include:
- Cambridge Cuban Salsa is operating the Thursday Salsa Social Club and the Sunday Salsa Lounge.
- Ceroc on Monday evenings at the University Sports & Social Club on Mill Lane.
- The LindyHoppers have classes and social events on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
- There will be Guildhall Tea Dances on Wednesday 23rd April and 20th June from 1pm to 4pm.
- Tea Dances of a similar nature occur regularly in many villages around Cambridge (eg out at Prickwillow). The next Cherry Hinton ones are Thursday 1st and 15th May from 1:30pm to 4pm in the Village Centre.
- There will also be some dancing opportunities at the Council's Big Weekend event, 4th to 7th of July on Parker's Piece.